Letter from the BOE President and the Superintendent
March 17, 2020
Dear Chappaqua Central School District Families,
We hope this email finds you doing well as we all continue to adjust to new norms and conditions during this complicated time. We want to start by thanking you for your understanding as we take the necessary time to plan for iLearning and adjust our school calendar in response to the spread of the coronavirus in our country.
We have decided to move to iLearning effective Thursday, March 19, 2020. This will be a soft launch with our full on-line program ready to commence on Monday, March 23, 2020. This soft launch will allow us to support students and staff with any technical issues on Thursday and Friday.
Please know that while iLearning is new to many of us, our faculty is actively preparing for our launch. Many have continued their professional development beyond our scheduled time to be able to best support our students during this transition. Please take a moment to read Dr. Pease's iLearning letter to families that outlines how we will approach this new instructional model.
The District will continue our iLearning model until the conclusion of the school day on Friday, April 3, 2020. [UPDATED APRIL 1: Spring break originally scheduled for April 6 - April 10 will now be Student Remote Instruction Days. In addition,
the district will now be closed for vacation on Monday, April 13, 2020 school will be in session on Friday, May 22, 2020. The District will remain closed to students from now until April 15th.] All extracurricular activities, events, and athletics are canceled during this time. We anticipate future guidance on March 30, 2020 from Section I on the status of our spring sports programs, and will communicate this to impacted families.
With that said, the health and safety of our students and staff will continue to be our highest priority, and we will continue to update you on the status of our ongoing school building closures. Should we need to remain closed past April 13th, iLearning will resume on April 14th.
Thank you again for your continued partnership and patience as we strive to best meet the needs of our students. We are well aware that this moment in time will have a lasting impact on our students and we remain available to assist you through this unprecedented experience.
Jane Kimmel Shepardson
Board of Education President
Christine Ackerman, PhD
Superintendent of Schools
Prior District Notifications:
- Coronavirus Update - March 15, 2020 (schools are closed for
- Child Care Support for 1st Responders/Health Care Providers (3/16/20)
- Meals Available During School Closure (3/16/20)
- Coronavirus Update - March 13, 2020
- Coronavirus Update - March 12, 2020
- Coronavirus Update - March 9, 2020 (joint guidance from NYSDOH and NYSED)
- Coronavirus Update - March 8, 2020 (schools will be open on 3/9)
- Coronavirus Update - February 27, 2020
- Coronavirus (2019-nCoV / COVID-19) - February 6, 2020
- CDC's 2019-nCoV website
- NYS Department of Health's dedicated 2019-nCoV website
- NYS Department of Health directory of local health departments
- New York State Center for School Health website
- NYS Department of Health Novel Coronavirus Hotline: 1-888-364-3065