How to prepare for the Horace Greeley Girl’s Tennis team
Conditioning: July to Mid-August (please complete conditioning log)
- Run 1 ½ miles per day (should be able to do this in 15 minutes)
- Run intervals (sprint 20 meters –walk 20 meters –repeat 10 times) (rest 5 minutes, repeat set)
- Practice the toss (consistency in location – 5 minutes per day)
- Serving (1/2 hour per day)
- Ground strokes (1 hour per day)
- Net play
- Learn how to play doubles.
- Practice at net.
- Learn to "angle volley"
- Practice overhead
Commitment to Tryouts: Do not miss any tryout days
Typically, there are between 17 and 19 spots for each Varsity, JV A and JV B squad.
- 9th grade students must 1st tryout for JV B, before a coach will invite them to try out for JV A.
- 10th grade students must 1st tryout for JV A, before a coach will invite them to try out for Varsity.
- 11th and 12th grade students may try out for Varsity.
--Bring two rackets each day.
--Bring water and sun block.
--Bring healthy snacks.