Regulation 5035: Corporal Punishment Complaint Procedures
In compliance with the Commissioner's Regulations, the following procedures as developed by the Superintendent, shall be used for the investigation of complaints about the use of corporal punishment by district personnel.
- District personnel receiving any such complaint shall file a written report with the Superintendent immediately.
- The report shall relate all relevant details of the incident, including what action was taken, why the action was taken, and what measures, if any, had been taken to prevent the need for such action.
- The report will be kept on file and be made available to the complainant, upon request.
- The Superintendent or his designee shall take such further steps as may be necessary to investigate the complaint.
- The Superintendent or his designee shall promulgate forms for the reports described in paragraphs 1-3 above and will develop procedures for parental notification.
- The Superintendent or his designee shall file such semi-annual reports summarizing the complaints received as may be required by the State Education Department.
- When the Superintendent or his designee receives any child abuse complaint, he will refer all complaints to the New York State Child Abuse and Maltreatment Registry.
Approved by Superintendent of Schools: June 23, 1994